Nathan Looney, Assistant Sports Information Director
SEARCY – The Harding volleyball team defeated Arkansas Tech 3-1 (20-25, 25-11, 25-20, 25-22) Tuesday to open its Great American Conference season. It was also the Lady Bisons home opener.
Harding improves to 6-6 on the season and 1-0 in the GAC.
Arkansas Tech falls to 7-6 overall and 1-1 in the GAC.
After a 5-0 run to give the Lady Bisons a 16-15 lead, Arkansas Tech went on a 6-0 run to lead 21-16. Harding pulled within two, 22-20 but the Golden Suns scored the next three points to win 25-20. Arkansas Tech hit .457 with 18 kills in the set.
Trailing 4-3 in the second set, Harding went on a 9-0 run to lead 12-4. The Lady Bisons went on to win the set, 25-11. Arkansas Tech had 13 hitting errors in the set.
Leading 11-9 in the third set, Harding went on a 9-2 run to lead 19-11. The Lady Bisons fought off Arkansas Tech’s comeback and won the set 25-20. Harding had 15 kills in the set.
The teams exchanged points in the fourth set until Harding went on a 4-1 run to lead 13-11. Trailing 19-16, Harding went on a 9-3 run to win the set 25-22. Harding had 12 kills and forced nine Arkansas Tech hitting errors.
– Harding was led by Madison Poen who had a career-high 17 kills. She also had a season-high 19 digs.
– Zoe Hardin added 12 kills and six blocks.
– Emily Clayton had 10 kills.
– Rachel Heussner had 40 assists and seven digs.
– Taylor Lake had 19 digs.
– Arkansas Tech was led by Hunter Eshnaur and Allie Anderson who each had 11 kills.
– The Golden Suns had 32 attack errors and hit .116.
– Hunter Eshnaur led the defense with 14 digs.
Harding will continue GAC play Thursday when it travels to Arkansas-Monticello. First serve is at 6 p.m.