Paul Smith, Associate Athletic Director
RUSSELLVILLE – Nine Arkansas Tech basketball players reached double figures in points, led by a 25-point performance by Ashley Breathitt and a 23-point performance by Jacie Higgins as the Golden Suns (1-2) topped Ecclesia College (0-8) 149-44 on Wednesday night at Tucker Coliseum.
The 105-point margin of victory was the largest in school history.
- Arkansas Tech returns to action on Tuesday, Nov. 20, facing Hendrix in a 5:30 p.m. matchup at Tucker Coliseum.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Golden Suns led wire-to-wire after scoring the game’s first five points.
- Tech grabbed a double-digit lead at the 5:36 mark of the opening quarter and led by 29 (42-13) at the end of the quarter.
- The Golden Suns outscored Ecclesia 29-17 in the second quarter and led by 41 (71-30) at the half.
- Tech outscored Ecclesia 37-4 in the third quarter, holding the Royals to 1-of-14 from the floor in the quarter to grab a 74-point lead (108-34) going into the fourth quarter.
- The Golden Suns’ lead reached triple digits with 2:01 to play on a Ryann Goodsell layup, and Tech increased its lead to as many as 107 (149-42) in the final minutes before Ecclesia scored the game’s final points with six seconds to play.
- Tech’s 149 points sets a new school record, eclipsing the 128 points scored against Crowley’s Ridge on November 10, 2013. The Suns won that game by 89 points, which stood as the school record until tonight.
- Tech set new program single-game records in field goal attempts with 89 (previous record 88), field goals with 64 (previous record 50), and assists with 41 (previous record 37).
- Breathitt and Higgins eclipsed the 20-point mark, while Jayana Sanders (19 points), Alicia Mardis (18), Ryann Goodsell (13), Hannah Villines (12), Kiara Moses (12), Leighton Taylor (11) and Lyrik Williams (10) all reached double figures.
- Goodsell led Tech with eight rebounds, while Taylor dished out a game-high nine assists.
- Breathitt had eight steals to lead the Golden Suns.
- Tech outscored Ecclesia 64-2 off turnovers, 24-6 on second-chance points, 65-7 on bench points, 71-0 on fast break points and 102-16 on points in the paint.