Paul Smith, Associate Athletic Director
RUSSELLVILLE – Bailey Shaffer tossed three scoreless innings in relief, and Megan Goodnight hit a three-run walk-off homer in the eighth inning to give Kristina McSweeney picked up her 200th career win as the Arkansas Tech Golden Suns softball team (16-6, 7-3 Great American Conference) picked up a doubleheader split with Henderson State (14-7, 6-4), winning the opener 4-1 before falling 2-1 in the nightcap.
- The Golden Suns and Henderson State conclude their four-game conference set on Monday, March 12, with a noon doubleheader.
- HSU 3rd – M. Green homered to left field, RBI. (HSU 1, Tech 0)
- Tech 3rd – S. Henson stole second, A. Sangster stole home. (Tech 1, HSU 1)
- Tech 8th – M. Goodnight homered to left center, 3 RBI; V. Bennett scored; S. Henson scored. (Tech 4, HSU 1)
- Winning Pitcher: Bailey Shaffer (6-1)
- Losing Pitcher: Sydney Bonner (4-3)
- Henson was the only Tech player to notch multiple hits, picking up two.
- Goodnight notched no decision after a solid five-inning effort, scattering four hits and allowing one run, fanning three and walking none.
- Shaffer got the win in relief after allowing one hit in three innings, fanning five.
- HSU 4th – A. Erb singled to left field, RBI; C. Camp advanced to third; M. Green scored. (HSU 1, Tech 0)
- HSU 4th – K. Reese sacrifice fly to cf, RBI; C. Camp scored. (HSU 2, Tech 0)
- Tech 5th – S. Coronado sacrifice fly to rf, double play, RBI; G. Vasquez out on the play, V. Bennett scored. (HSU 2, Tech 1)
- Winning Pitcher: Becca Almond (2-0)
- Losing Pitcher: Kristen Dempsey (3-2)
- Save: Mallory Brewer (2)
- Dempsey suffered the loss after scattering five hits in six innings, allowing two runs, walking and fanning one.
- Bailey Shaffer pitched a perfect seventh in relief.