Scott Goode, Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Information
SEARCY – The 6th-ranked Harding softball team swept Southeastern Oklahoma on Friday in Great American Conference action. The Lady Bisons won 2-1 in eight innings off a walk-off double by Courtney Derrick and won the second game 7-2.
Harding moves its GAC record winning streak to 23 games after the doubleheader sweep.
The Lady Bisons improves to 31-3 on the season and 21-1 in the GAC. Harding maintained its two game lead over Southern Arkansas in the GAC standings. Southeastern Oklahoma falls to 14-16 overall and 8-12 in the GAC.
Game One Key Innings (No. 6 Harding 2, Southeastern Oklahoma 1 – 8 innings)
– After three scoreless innings, Southeastern Oklahoma took a 1-0 lead in the fourth when Destiny Riddle homered to left field.
– Harding tied the game 1-1 in the sixth inning when Katie Carney had a pitch hit single that scored Amanda Berdon from third.
– In the bottom of the eighth inning and two outs, Courtney Derrick hit a double to right center that scored Madi Trump from second for the winning run.
Game One Key Statistics
– Harding had eight hits in the game, led by Alexus Lawellin who went 2-for-3.
– Lawellin extended her Harding record-hitting streak to 20 games when she singled in her first at bat.
– Southeastern Oklahoma had three hits by three different players.
– Harding left 12 runners on in the game.
– Hannah Johnson picked up the win and improves to 16-1 on the season. She threw the complete game, gave up three hits, one earned run and struck out five.
– Emily Cudd got the loss for Southeastern Oklahoma and falls to 11-7 on the season.
Game Two Key Innings (No. 6 Harding 7, Southeastern Oklahoma 2)
– Southeastern Oklahoma got on the board first in the first inning scoring two runs on three hits. Conner Harmon singled in a run and Keeshia Thompson stole home off an attempted double steal.
– Harding got a run back in the second when Lindsey Duncan hit a double to left center that scored Madi Trump.
– The Lady Bisons took a 4-2 lead in the third scoring three runs on three hits. Peyton Mills hit a triple to left center that scored Alexus Lawellin. Mills eventually scored on a wild pitch and Lindsey Duncan singled in Kimmy Hendricks-Campbell.
– Harding made it a 7-2 game in the sixth on three hits. Alexus Lawellin singled in a run and then Peyton Mills hit a two-run home run to center field that scored Lawellin. It was her fifth home run of the season.
Game Two Key Statistics
– Harding had 10 hits in the game, led by Alexus Lawellin who went 3-for-4. She extended her hitting streak to 21 games with her double in the third.
– Southeastern Oklahoma had seven hits with three players having two.
– Autumn Humes received the win for Harding and moves to 14-1 on the season. She threw the complete game, gave up two earned runs, walked two and struck out six.
– Ashley Moore who started the game for the Savage Storm received the loss. She falls to 1-4 on the season.
– The two teams will wrap up their series on Saturday with a doubleheader starting at noon.