Cody Usher, Sports Information Director
IRVING, Texas – The Hendrix College men’s basketball team ended the regular season with a 101-98 overtime loss at the University of Dallas in a non-conference matchup.
Both teams scorched the nets in the first half, with the Warriors (11-14) shooting 60 percent (15-of-25) and the Crusaders (9-16) making 62.2 percent (23-of-37) of their shots. UD took a 57-50 lead into halftime. Senior guard Aaron Steele scored 19 points in the first half for the Warriors.
With Dallas lead 70-64 with 14:53 left in regulation, Hendrix went on a 17-4 run over the next five minutes to take an 81-74 advantage. Senior guard Bryce Parker scored eight points during that stretch.
The Warriors led 1:24 left in the second half, but Victor Garate hit a three-pointer and a lay-up from Tom Kaiser forced overtime. Th
Tied at 98 in the extra period, UD’s Michael Sarrat converted a three-point play with 56 seconds left. The Warriors missed their final two shots of overtime, including one at the buzzer.
For the game, Hendrix shot 50.8 percent (31-of-61) from the field, 10-of-27 from three-point range and 26-of-32 at the free throw line with 38 rebounds, 19 assists, 16 turnovers, two blocks and four steals. Dallas shot 50.6 percent (40-of-79) overall, 8-of-26 from outside and 13-of-20 at the line with 37 rebounds, 24 ssists, eight turnovers, one block and five steals.
– Steele scored a career-high 25 points and hit five three-pointers.
– Senior center Gearen Littlefield also had a career-high, scoring 23 points and pulled down eight rebounds.
– Parker finished with 12 points.
– Sophomore forward Bryce Batchelor recorded 12 points, seven boards and a career-high six assists.
– Sophomore guard Preston Smith had 10 points and three assists.
– Freshman guard Jacob Link registered eight points, four rebounds, five assists and two steals.
– Senior guard Travis Garrett had four points and six rebounds.
– Darrius Colvin led the Crusaders with 25 points and 11 boards.
– Sarrat finished with 23 points and three assists.
– Tom Kaiser had 16 points and seven boards.
– Garate scored 11 points with three rebounds, five assists and two steals.
– Lorenzo Gonzalez had seven points and seven assists.
Hendrix will face Sewanee in the first round of the Southern Athletic Association Tournament at 3 p.m. in Memphis, Tenn. on Friday.