Cody Usher, Sports Information Director
JACKSON, Miss. – The Hendrix College men’s basketball team staved off a come back attempt by Millsaps College to win 88-82 at the Hangar Dome Friday night.
With the win, the Warriors improve to 10-10 and 6-4 in the Southern Athletic Association with four games left. Hendrix moves into a tie for third with Birmingham-Southern. The Majors fall to 4-17 and 1-9 in conference.
The Orange & Black pounced on the host team, jumping out to a 37-17 lead over the first 12 minutes. Hendrix led 49-35 at the half. The Warriors led 74-55 with 8:41 to play, but the Majors went on a 30-8 run to cut their deficit to 85-82 with 33 ticks left. Hendrix answered with a free throw from senior guard by Bryce Parker and two more from freshman Jacob Link to secure the six-point victory.
Six Warriors scored in double-digits while they shot 57.6 percent (34-of-59), their best performance in conference play this season. They also went 11-of-28 from three-point territory and 9-of-13 at the charity stripe with 29 rebounds, 23 assists, 14 turnovers, a block and eight steals.
Millsaps shot 45.9 percent (28-of-61) overall, 14-of-28 from outside and 12-of-16 at the line with 31 boards, 18 assists, 15 turnovers, a block and eight steals.
– Link flirted with a triple-double for the second straight game, coming up with 18 points, nine rebounds, seven assists, a block and two steals. The freshman guard was 7-of-8 on shot attempts.
– Senior guard Aaron Steele netted 15 points.
– Senior guard Travis Garrett came up with 14 points, six boards, three assists and a pair of steals.
– Parker made four three-pointers for 13 points.
– Sophomore guard Preston Smith recorded 12 points, three assists and three steals.
– Sophomore forward Bryce Batchelor registered 10 points and four rebounds.
– Sophomore guard Michael Calamese dished out three assists.
– Sam Kohnke led the Majors with 20 points and six assists.
– Brennan Gagen added 18 points and four assists.
– Buck Blanz scored 14 points off the bench.
– James Turner recorded 10 points, seven boards and two steals.
Hendrix will face Birmingham-Southern in Birmingham, Ala. Sunday at 3 p.m. in a battle of third-place teams.