Devon Lucal, Sports Information Director
MONTICELLO – The University of Arkansas at Monticello football team upset the #24 ranked Wonder Boys of Arkansas Tech Saturday evening at home, by a final score of 46-45.
- Senior wide-receiver Jalen Tolliver broke the UAM record for most receiving yards in a career with a total of 2,742 currently in his Weevil career. This breaks the previous career record of 2,646, set by Anthony Giovingo from 1995-1998.
- Arkansas-Monticello improves to 3-3 (3-3 GAC) overall this season.
- #24 Arkansas Tech falls to 4-2 (4-2 GAC) in 2017.
- “Absolutely a team effort, all phases,” said head football coach Hud Jackson. “So proud of these players, crowd was great, but I can’t say enough about our coaching staff. Players play hard for their coaches, and I am a lucky man to have this staff. Go Weevils! Eat’em Up!”
- Arkansas Tech struck first in the opening quarter with a 24 yard passing touchdown at 11:03 in the first to take the 7-0 lead over UAM.
- The Weevils answered back late in the quarter with a 33 yard pass from Cole Sears which found Jalen Tolliver for the score, and tied up the ball game at 7-7.
- Tolliver gave UAM the lead early in the second period with a one yard rushing touchdown to jump out to a 13-6 advantage.
- The Wonder Boys fired back with a nine yard rushing touchdown, and with the made extra point, gave Tech the 14-13 lead with 7:58 remaining in the half.
- The back-and-forth battle continued with freshman running back Logan Penn finding the end-zone on the ground from two yards out, and a failed two point conversion from UAM, put the score at 19-14 in favor of Arkansas-Monticello.
- ATU reclaimed the lead on a quarterback rush up the middle from nine yards away to give the Wonder Boys back the lead at 21-19.
- The Weevil offense was able to march down the field and finish off the half with a 33 yard Josh Marini field goal to give the home squad a 22-21 edge.
- ATU began the second half of play with a two yard rushing touchdown to retake the lead at 28-22 over UAM with just 12:18 left in the third quarter.
- UAM found success once again through the air as Sears found Trevon Smith for 33 yards and the score, swinging the home momentum back to the Weevils as they led 29-28.
- The Weevils added on to that slim lead with another Josh Marini field goal from from 29 yards out, extending the advantage to 32-28.
- Arkansas Tech opened the fourth quarter with a 36 yard quarterback scramble that turned into six points as ATU took over the lead at 35-32.
- The Wonder Boys came up with the big play after forcing an interception on the next UAM possession and returning it 39 yards for the touchdown, giving Tech the 42-32 lead, with just 13:10 left in the contest.
- UAM began to chip away at that lead, first with another Tolliver receiving touchdown for 20 yards to put the ATU advantage at 42-39.
- Tech answered that score with a field goal from 24 yards away, after the UAM defense held strong in the red-zone to keep ATU at just three points.
- With just 1:44 remaining on the clock, Cole Sears ran the ball for 10 yards, diving into the end-zone for the score and sealing the game away for UAM at 46-45.
- Jalen Tolliver: 9 catches, 111 receiving yards, 2 receiving touchdowns, 1 rushing touchdown
- Cole Sears: 29-of-49, 365 passing yards, 3 passing touchdowns, 48 rushing yards, and 1 rushing touchdown
- Imani Riley: 15 carries, 65 rushing yards
- Christian Jefferson: 7 total tackles
- Anthony Walker: 4 total tackles, 1.5 TFL, 0.5 sacks, 2 passes broken up
- The Weevils will take on the Bison of Oklahoma Baptist on the road next week on Saturday, October 14 in Shawnee, Oklahoma with a kick-off time of 1:00 p.m. scheduled.