Cody Usher, Sports Information Director
TEXARKANA, Texas – The Hendrix College baseball team lost to Austin College 9-4 in Texarkana, Texas at Tiger Field Wednesday afternoon.
The Kangaroos (5-15) outhit the Warriors (7-10) 15-9. The Hendrix pitching staff did manage to strike out 11 batters.
Austin scored in the bottom of the second when second baseman Seth Howard singled and later scored on a base hit from center fielder Oscar Hernandez.
Hendrix tied it up in the fifth when senior catcher James Martin led off with a single, stole second and advanced to third on error on the attempt. Martin crossed the plate on a passed ball by the ‘Roo catcher.
Austin went up 3-1 in the bottom of the fifth after two runs were scored on two hits, an error and a passed ball. They added three more runs in sixth when first baseman Scott Gelbart hit a double with the bases loaded that brought everyone home.
In the top of the seventh, sophomore third baseman Dylan Bowers and sophomore shortstop Jorge Leon hit back-to-back singles. Junior right fielder Drew Judson followed with triple off the center field wall to make the game 6-3. Judson scored on a passed ball, cutting the deficit to two runs.
Brett Taff recorded a two-run double and later stole home in the bottom of the eighth to give Austin the 9-4 win.
Hendrix used seven different pitchers with freshman reliever Hayden Seay (0-1) taking the loss. Taff (1-1) earned the win by allowing five hits, an unearned run, a walk and two strikeouts over five frames. Gonzalez picked up a four-inning save, giving up four hits, two earned runs, two walks and three strikeouts.
– Leon went 3-for-5 with a pair of stolen bases.
– Judson drove in two runs with the triple.
– Sophomore second baseman Tanner Cooper had a pair of hits.
– Bowers singled and scored.
– Martin had a hit, a stolen base and a run.
– Junior first baseman Jakie Wiegand also posted a single.
– Freshman reliever Skylar Furey struck out two batters in a perfect fourth inning.
– Taff went 3-for-5 with two runs, two RBI and a stolen base.
– Catcher Michael Winterrowd was 3-for-5 with a RBI and a double.
– Gelbart drove in three runs with his double.
– Gonzalez was 2-for-4 with a stolen base, run scored and RBI.
– Left fielder Thomas Oberg was 2-for-4 with two runs.
Hendrix will take on Sewanee at home in a Southern Athletic Association series beginning Saturday at 1:30 p.m.